A STARK warning has been issued that the closure of the Elisabeth the Chef factory will create “real hardship” for laid-off workers.
The large plant near Worcester shut on Friday (August 14), several months after the owners gave the government notice of their intention to make 367 people redundant.
Former and retired employees marked the end of the chilled desserts maker’s plant in Lower Broadheath with a party at Worcestershire County Cricket Club.
Only “limited progress” has been made to secure new jobs at a time when official figures show rising unemployment and the lowest rate of vacancies for five years nationally.
READ MORE: From Spice Girls to oblivion: The downfall of Worcestershire’s 98-year-old baker
SHUTDOWN: The factory near Worcester has closed (Image: Newsquest)
Worcestershire County Councillor Mel Fordington (Hallow) said: “The closure of Elisabeth the Chef in Lower Broadheath is a significant loss for the community.
“As the county councillor for the Hallow Division and Lower Broadheath, I am deeply concerned about the impact on workers and their families.
“The loss of hundreds of jobs will bring real hardship and uncertainty to many households across the area.”
Cllr Fordington has been working with the county council’s skills and employability team to secure support for those affected.
“The team has been in touch with the Department for Work and Pensions and the economic team at Malvern Hills District Council,” she said.
“While efforts have been made, limited progress has been reported so far.
“Harriett Baldwin, the local MP, has also offered to help, stating that affected constituents should contact her office to be put in touch with Jobcentre representatives for tailored support.
“I remain committed to pressing for every available form of assistance and will continue to work with partners to support the community through this difficult period.”
READ MORE:The farewell: Cake factory workers party after job losses and plant closure
The plant’s Leeds-based owners, Country Style, have not responded to repeated requests for comment about the closure and job losses.
Official documents show they intended to close the factory, but it’s not clear how many people were made redundant in the end.
However, former workers who have spoken anonymously to the Worcester News described the site as almost empty last week.
Elisabeth the Chef had occupied the plant for 30 years, and it was part of the baker’s once-flourishing West Midlands operation.
Responding to the closure, West Worcestershire MP Dame Harriett Baldwin said: “I recently met with Jobcentre representatives who can offer tailored support when there are local redundancies.
“Affected constituents should contact my office, and I will gladly put them in touch.
“The new Chancellor should protect jobs and growth by looking urgently at reversing the hikes to business rates and national insurance that have pushed costs up for local employers.
“He should also adopt our Cheap Power Plan which would save businesses on their energy bills.”
The Treasury defended John Healey’s early record in the job.
A spokesperson said: “The Chancellor is fully focused on his priorities, to boost business, help with the cost of living and support people in every postcode.
“In his first few weeks in the job he has cut VAT on electricity bills and made bus fares cheaper.
“This is on top of our Great British Summer Savings, which is increasing footfall for businesses, including in the West Midlands, over the summer, getting more people through the door and boosting local economies.”
*Do you have a story you wish to share? Contact joshua.layton@newsquest.co.uk
